Thanks to your support, CAFOD has been helping communities around the world cope with the Covid pandemic.
Just in Zambia, in the past year, our reports show we’ve been able to
- reach 1,234,200 people with messages on COVID-19,
- provide 13,312 people with access to safe water,
- train 392 frontline health workers from Zambia’s 11 dioceses on how to prepare for and respond to COVID-19 in their local communities and
- donate over 1000 handwashing hygiene stations in communities to support handwashing measures.
Thank you for standing alongside people in Zambia and for supporting people in more than 30 other countries worldwide.
All charities welcome financial help – but they all stress that the support of our Prayers is equally important.
We actively encourage ALL parishioners to remember in their prayers, the charities we have selected. To this end we have created separate pages which show exaples of their needs and of the benefits they have received as a result of the prayers of supporters. They can be found here:-
- Pray for Aid to the Church in Need;
- Pray for CAFOD;
- Pray for Congo School for Peace;
- Pray for Mary’s Meals;
- Pray for Missio;
- Pray for Local Charities.
An Introduction to CAFOD
Most Catholics will be aware of the work of CAFOD, the official aid agency of the Church in England and Wales.
Twice a year, during Lent and at harvest time, CAFOD promotes a Friday Fast Day through which pennies (and pounds!) can be set aside by those practising self-denial for a Sunday collection in aid of some of the world’s poorest communities.
The proceeds of the Lent 2021 Fast Day (Friday February 26th) will be devoted to the struggle against water poverty – providing for access to safe and clean water in areas hit by shortages.
One third of the world’s population has no direct access to clean water.
Pictured here is a small victory celebrated in drought-hit Ethiopia, where miles upon miles have to be walked daily by those tasked with providing water for their families.
Sponsored ‘water walks’ are taking place to raise funds for water provision in several different countries: prayers are offered for all fundraisers as well as for those in need of water.
To put your love into action, donate online at: http://www.cafod.org.uk/lent
CAFOD provide prayer resources for a range of other causes on their website. We pray with them for:-
- a fruitful struggle against poverty
- justice for those in the greatest need
- the peace of Christ in hearts and homes around the world.